The Afghan government on Wednesday dismissed the report on the fall of Sangin district to the Taliban militants as groundless.
Acting Defense Minister Mohammad Stanikzai said Bagran is the only district under militants’ control in the country.
He was responding to media reports suggesting the fall of Sangin district to the Taliban militants.
He said reinforcements had arrived in the area where government forces
were preparing operations to push back the Taliban.
The Taliban said in an online statement that the district centre of Sangin had been completely overrun with large quantities of weapons and equipment captured.