Child Dies After Railway Demolish 500 Shanties In Delhi

One child died on Sunday morning hours (December 13) after his family, along with nearly 500 others, was evicted from their slums in a late-night demolition drive by railway authorities in New Delhi’s Shakur Basti area. With their shanties razed to the ground, hundreds of women and children had to spend the cold night in open. The demolition coincided with winter officially arriving in the national capital. Railway officials said they conducted the “anti-encroachment” drive to create land for a new passenger terminal. They said the child’s death, reported around 10 am on Sunday, had nothing to do with the removal of the slum. “A number of notices were issued to encroachers to vacate the railway land during the last nine months, but they did not vacate,” a railway official said. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who rushed to the spot shortly after the eviction, said “500-700 shanties were demolished” and claimed the slum had been there for more than 20 years. “The officers who did this are inhuman beasts… God will not forgive them,” an angry Kejriwal said as he ordered immediate relief for the evicted people.

Subscribe to Times Now | Click Here ►

‘Download the official TIMES NOW mobile app – Give a missed call on 1800 4190 300. Stay updated, stay ahead.’

Subscribe Now To Our Network Channels :-
The NewsHour Debate :
ET Now :

To Stay Updated Download the Times Now App :-
Android Google Play :
Apple App Store :

Social Media Links :-
Facebook –
G+ –
Twitter –
Also visit our website –

Leave a Comment