Kohinoor not stolen, gifted to UK: Centre

India may not get back the $200 million Kohinoor diamond. The NDA Government on Monday (April 18) told the Supreme Court that as per the Ministry of Culture, India should not stake a claim to the famed Kohinoor diamond as ‘it was neither stolen nor forcibly taken away.’ Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar, appearing for the Government, said this was the stand of the Culture Ministry. “Ministry of External Affairs is also a party and their response is yet to come,” he informed the court. He also told the apex court that the Kohinoor diamond was handed over by Maharaja Ranjit Singh to the East India Company. Chief Justice TS Thakur asked the Centre if it wants the case to be dismissed as they would face a problem in the future when putting forward any legitimate claim. The Supreme Court has asked the Centre to file a detailed reply within six weeks. The Supreme Court had last week asked the Centre to state its position on the issue of bringing 105 carat diamond back. The apex court made this observation while hearing a petition filed by the All India Human Rights and Social Justice Front.
Subscribe to Times Now | Click Here ►

‘Download the official TIMES NOW mobile app – Give a missed call on 1800 4190 300. Stay updated, stay ahead.’

Subscribe Now To Our Network Channels :-
The NewsHour Debate :
ET Now :

To Stay Updated Download the Times Now App :-
Android Google Play :
Apple App Store :

Social Media Links :-
Facebook –
G+ –
Twitter –
Also visit our website –

Leave a Comment