Tianjin blasts death toll rises

First the latest on warehouse explosions in north China’s port city of Tianjin…

The death toll from the blasts has risen to 123, including 70 firefighters and seven policemen.

Local authorities say all victims’ identities have been verified.

Nearly two weeks after powerful explosions ripped through the warehouses containing dangerous chemicals in Tianjin Port on the night of August 12th, 50 people remain missing, including 34 firefighters and four policemen.

According to the city’s publicity department, more than 600 people are still treated in hospitals, including 44 critically or seriously injured.

Nearly 170 people have been discharged.

Over 80 medical experts from across the nation along with 180 experts from Tianjin are trying their best to treat the injured.

The latest monitoring data showed that cyanide levels in samples from groundwater around the blast site and offshore sea waters were below toxic levels on Saturday.

Local environment monitoring center said the water, containing cyanide levels higher than the national safety standard, was contained in the core area of the blast site and will be removed after being processed.

The center said Saturday’s data from the five monitoring stations around the blast site revealed that the air quality in the area was good.

And no new contamination has been detected in the air so far.

Leave a Comment