Reports say at least 30 people have been killed after an explosion at a rally in Turkey’s border town of Suruc.
The apparent suicide bomb attack occurred at midday in a park where people had gathered to call for support in rebuilding the Syrian Kurdish city of Kobani.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack. However, the Turkish Prime Minister said initial findings point to the IS group as the main suspects.
Monday’s blast targeted the garden of a cultural center in Suruc, near the Syrian town of Kobane.
The explosion killed 30 people and wounded some 100 others. However, the death toll could increase as some of the wounded are in critical conditions.
Deputy of pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party was quoted as saying that the blast occurred as a group made a press statement about the “rebuilding of Kobane town”.
The Interior Ministry has condemned the blast, calling it a “terrorist attack.”
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemns perpetrators of “act of terror”.
Turkish government officials have not confirmed who might have staged the deadly attack, however Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said initial investigation findings point to the IS group as the main suspects in Monday’s explosion.
He also noted that it is highly likely that a suicide bomb was involved in the blast.
Davutoglu also dismissed accusations claiming Turkey supported IS militants in Syria, stressing that Turkey was the first country to label IS as a terrorist organization.
Meanwhile, thousands of Turks poured onto the streets in Ankara, Istanbul and five other cities to condemn Monday’s explosion.
Suruc is a predominately Kurdish town which is located across the border from Kobane town in Syria.
Islamic State jihadists started to attack Kobane in early 2015, forcing thousands of people to cross the border into Suruc town.